Information Board outside the mining museum at El Granado (1) (via Google Translation)
(heading) AREA - El Granado and the town of Sardón
(top left photo) Ore unloading dock and the house of Guillermo Rödiguer, director of the railway, who appears in the centre wearing a black jacket. In the warehouses on the left, they unloaded the train wagons to load the small buckets that arrived at La Laja by air cable.
(top right photo) The Saint Leonard locomotive leaving, with a convoy of wagons, the crushing plant in Herrerias. In the background, the winch of the Guadiana well can be seen.
(main text) With an area of 9,755 hectares, El Granado is the westernmost municipality in the province of Huelva. With great ties to Portugal, its natural border with the Portuguese country is in the Guadiana. Due to its strategic location, it was one of the first Roman villas on the route between the Guadiana and Emerita Augusta, current Mérida and capital of the empire. In the middle of the 16th century, the population settled on these lands, predominantly agricultural activity, as a way of life. In the second half of the 19th century, mining and the construction of the railway led to the revival of the area at a social, economic and industrial level, making the Port of La Laja one of the most important of its kind in the Iberian Peninsula. As a result of this activity, the town of Sardón arose, a settlement destined for the miners homes together with the weighing, storage and, later, loading of the ore. With the construction, in 1926, of the last section of the train to Puerto de La Laja, El Sardón became a railway station. Currently, the walls of the quartered houses remain, typical small houses arranged in a row.