Paul Steane's Photography Pages

[ stop the slideshow ]


20150807_140851.jpg LongridgeThumbnailsLongridgeLongridgeThumbnailsLongridgeLongridgeThumbnailsLongridgeLongridgeThumbnailsLongridgeLongridgeThumbnailsLongridgeLongridgeThumbnailsLongridgeLongridgeThumbnailsLongridge

Close-up of the keystone of the tunnel under Higher Road. The inscription reads "P&LR 1839 FHP C&T": P&LR is for Preston & Longridge Railway; 1839 is the date the tunnel was built; FHP may be the initials of the engineer Frederick Henry Park; C&T is Cooper & Tullis the tunnel builders. The tunnel portal is a Grade II listed structure.