The terminal station buildings at Longridge on the Preston & Longridge Railway, looking towards Berry Lane and, beyond that, the quarries that formed the main traffic source for the railway for many years. The first station opened with the line in 1840: just this side of the level crossing, it was opened as a booking office and hotel and was initially known as the Longridge Railway Tavern, then the Station Hotel, then in 1853 the Towneley Arms, the name it still carries today. The station building proper, nearest the camera, was opened in 1873. Closure to passengers was in 1930; to all traffic in 1967. The 1873 station is now a tourist information centre and cafe.